Thursday, June 22, 2006

Father's Day

Father's day was a few weeks ago. It was a great day. Gifts, breakfast, and special father's day activities with the little one. I enjoyed it. However, I never really know how to act when it's "my day". I always feel a little awkward or uncertain of what to do...I guess I don't really like all of the attention. But, it does feel nice to have all of the special treatment.

The little one suggested that we go bike riding. We went for a "real" MTB ride at a local place. It was her first time "off road". She did a great job. She is such a good rider. She handled several tough short hill climbs, went over some sizable roots, and even handled some off camber stuff. I was really proud of her.

I'm not sure why but she gets really frustrated some times and she cries. It makes me think I'm being too hard on her. And, it reminds me of times when I would play baseball with my dad and get frustrated because I wasn't very good at hitting or throwing...I cried too. I used to blame it on him but now I'm in his shoes and I'm not sure who's to blame. When we do activities together and she cries I feel like a failure.

This brings me to a larger point or a question really. I wonder why I don't remember the good things that happen with the kid and not just the bad things about my interactions with her? I tend to focus on the negative instances or my shortfalls as a parent. This is really just a larger indication of my tendency to focus on the negative in all areas of my life...I really would like to be more positive.

I believe I will resolve to be more positive in my perspective on my interactions with the kid and with my wife...I'm not really clear on how to do this but I'll look into it.

On a somewhat related note, here is a list of general parenting lessons I've learned:

  1. If you don't like something your child is doing, just wait, it's going to change.
  2. Be gentle with your children's feelings.
  3. Play rough with your children.
  4. Hug them now while you have the chance.

This list is short but I think the items are valuable. A belated but Happy Father's day to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Traffic Counter
Circuit City Coupon