Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Can a day be evil?

As I went for a walk this morning, I pondered all of the activity that would take place today. Kids will trick-or-treat, parents will pass out candy, and to some this day will be full of fear and loathing because it is evil. Some folks over at Family Life sure do.

E-mail from Kansas City MO: After my pastor explained to the congregation what it meant, I knew that Halloween was not something that I wanted to participate in and I do not allow my children to celebrate this evil day.

E-mail from Lubbock TX: Don't even acknowledge that Halloween is celebrated. The harvest fests that are celebrated on that day should not even take place. Yes, they do give the kids something to do, but it is still acknowledging that the day is there.

E-mail from Phillipsburg, KS: For parents who think, "Oh, what's the big deal" - I have a sister who dabbles in Wiccan (white witchcraft) and this is a RELIGIOUS holiday for her. It is not innocent - parents need to wake up and recognize this as an evil holiday, and protect their children rather than allowing our culture and social pressure to draw them in.

Now, I’ve never been one to buy into the occult relationship with Halloween. I loved Halloween as a kid. We would go trick-or-treating when I was young and "bombing" when I was older. Now, bombing is a fun activity whereby people in their teens who live in the Chicago area agree to show up at a specific location and pelt each other with eggs, shaving cream, and other innocuous items. It's very fun.

Tonight, we will have a small get together for my daughter and her friends. The dads will take the kids trick-or-treating, while the moms get to hang out, drink margaritas, and pass out candy.

What are you going to do? Do you treat Halloween like it's evil? Do you let your kids partake? I guess this post really raises the question, can a day be evil? Can you partake in something evil with a pure hear?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Days aren't evil. Only people are evil.

10/31/2006 8:02 PM  
Blogger SocietyVs said...

I don't find a thing wrong with Halloween, I see kids and families down the block sharing with one another...as far as the occult goes...well that's on them to answer for and they are a minut amount of people anyways...to which I pay no attention since my faith has never been determined by the supposed 'evil' others are doing. I see Halloween as a very fun time to share with others.

11/08/2006 12:04 AM  
Blogger bruced said...

To some people, every day is evil. Those are the people who need to be saved from their own twisted view of life. They need to be saved...

11/09/2006 10:14 PM  
Blogger bruced said...

To some people, every day is evil. Those are the people who need to be saved from their own twisted view of life. They need to be saved...

11/09/2006 10:14 PM  
Blogger Micah Hoover said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12/06/2006 8:58 PM  
Blogger Micah Hoover said...

I fully agree with Dorsey.

Just because someone does something bad while commemorating Halloween doesn't mean all trick or treaters have bad intentions.

Conversely, just because some people worship in spirit and in truth doesn't mean that everyone who worships does so in spirit and truth.

(EDITED - second sentance made no sense)

12/09/2006 1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Traffic Counter
Circuit City Coupon