Monday, December 18, 2006

How strange that the very word "faith" has come to mean its exact opposite.

One of my favorite pieces of radio these days is NPR's "This I Believe" series. I'm often bothered, frustrated, challenged, or strengthened by the beliefs I hear. I think today's broadcast is especially appropriate for the folks who visit this site. Richard Rohr, a Catholic priest, offers his belief about belief and it is quite up-lifting. Here's an excerpt:

Whenever I think there's a perfect pattern, further reading and study reveal an exception. Whenever I want to say "only" or "always," someone or something proves me wrong. My scientist friends have come up with things like "principles of uncertainty" and dark holes. They're willing to live inside imagined hypotheses and theories. But many religious folks insist on answers that are always true. We love closure, resolution and clarity, while thinking that we are people of "faith"! How strange that the very word "faith" has come to mean its exact opposite.

How strange indeed. To hear the entire broadcast, click here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"closure, resolution &
clarity"


Doesn't leave much room for growth, does it...

Nice post. It's absolutely and exactly what we christians need to be assured of the facts associated with our unfeigned faith...

12/18/2006 10:14 PM  
Blogger SocietyVs said...

Interesting reality about this faith, thanks for writing the blog - great food for thought and I think you are 'on' to something.

12/21/2006 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Traffic Counter
Circuit City Coupon